Saturday, November 27, 2004

Ready for war y'all

Last nite was brilliant. I had absolutely no responsibilities/commitments. No more exams. So I sat down and watched Blackhawk Down. It's basically a movie based on an ill-fated U.S. operation in Somalia in 1993. The troopers try to extract some Warlord Militia men in a hostile city (deja vu - can you say IRAQ). The US army is armed to the teeth with massive BlackHawk helicopters, convoys of little army trucks with mounted machineguns and represent the elite US army.

The operation goes terribly wrong cause the Milita own the city, and the troops have stirred up the hornets nest. I love the movie beacuse of its action but also because of its rawness. It bring you right to the centre of the action. Having played the game Counterstrike, it's exactly the same. However despite the technology, advanced planning and the overall numbers the army are immediately overwhelmed by the whole operation. Also, Eric Bana (Fast Forward, Hulk) plays a rather cool character who is slightly mad yet absolutely cool under pressure.

Whilst watching this movie it reminded and highlighted to me the atrocities of war. Soldiers putting their bodies on the line, being carried into coffins back home. What I thought was really moving was the code of the troops : "No one gets left behind". Each soldier would give up their life for the man fighting next to them, even when they didn't know them. In the last frames, we see that it's not only soldiers that die but also civilians. An old man carries his wounded child, dripping in blood. That stuff is moving. THe movie doens't go into the deeper reasons why the troops went into Somalia, other than to overturn the Warlord and restore some peace.

The main character, the Young Commander who I thought was rather like myself. The other troops called him idealistic and asked him why are you here (fighting in the war) and he was like: "I was put here to make a difference. People are dying, there's no food. It's my job to restore the peace". The others are like, "I'm just here to kick some ass".

ON the DJ HO ratings, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Plenty of action, blood, guts, not much plot or character development.


Battle anybody, I'm as hard as........

Speaking of battles, I also went to the Bankstown Police Club yesterday to take my bro to his breakdance session and to work on my basketball game.

My bro was showing his stuff and he was doing a handstand using only one of his forearms on the ground. He started spinning around and then immediately some guy starting pointing at him and then was challenged to a battle. I was like "yeah, that's what I come to see!". There were about 5-6 people there and they formed two teams.

I have to say that bro held it down and his side easily won. He had too many impressive moves. He started with a running front flip and then pulled off this budda position where he had his legs crossed and elevated himself off the ground with his two hands. THen he proceeded to rotate his legs above his head (with legs still crossed). It was just absolutely mad. I was standing around pointing saying to anyone that would hear "he's my brother. I taught him that!". I don't think anyone believed me though.



You either sell rocks or have a wicked jumpshot

At the Police Club I was in my element. I was the only one on the court after 7pm (the other ballers left after I had destroyed them lol). I worked on a variety of post moves, such as my patented turnaround jumpshot, upfakes, baby hook shots, drop steps. Normally I go to work on the left block causing I'm more comfortable going left so I started doing some training on the right block to make myself more of a threat. Later on, i started working on my jumpshot, drilling them from the elbow, outside the key, and the free throw line.

Offensively I need to add a crossover to shake off defenders. I'm trying to work on two dribble, right to left and left to right crossover. It's a bit hard when your DJ HO and you don't have the natural speed to blow them away. To me its all about quickness, and you have to execute the crossover with speed and then explode in the direction you want to take. Another move which I would like to add into my repotoire (of two moves) is a jab step. I've seen Kobe do it and its quite effectively. Except the problem is, he's Kobe and I'm DJ Ho.


No comments: