Friday, November 19, 2004

3 Down, 1 to go!

Just got home from my commercial and estate exam. I feel so relieved that i've almost finished my exams. I've got a 5 day gap til the next one, so much time! What am I gonna do? Study?!.

Can't believe that I am gonna finish uni soon. It'll be all over. I think there is some salty residue in my eye LOL.

I woke up this morning at 6am and has this sudden urge to watch the new AND1 Mixtape 7 that I just downloaded...whoops...... I mean bought. After watching it, i was all hyped up and motivated to study. it was so good, it actually made me go "whoa", and I actually did a couple of "lean back" reactions cause the dunks were that awesome. Also, what amazed, me were how confident these guys were. The theme of this mixtape seems to be "we ain't scared, we''ll play in your backyard, and still embarrass you".

What really inspired me was how confident Alimoe, Hot Sauce, AO and the rest of the crew were despite being up against a hostile crowd, and a team hell bent on taking them down. I think that's the major factor that I lack when I play basketball and in life generally. I get intimidated too easily on the court if some guy steals the ball off me whilst I'm dribbling or if I miss a couple of shots in a row. Confidence I believe comes with playing a lot more and having faith in your own ability. That is what separates the average players from the great players.

The thing is I know to hit a jumpshot. I know how to box out. I know how to do a screen and roll. I know how to hit a fake left, spin right, up and under layup whilst posting up. But the thing is to actually execute it whilst playing against decent competition and not dawen :P.

Got Rice, Got Rice?

it seems that George Dubya has a new sidekick, Condelezza Rice. Is that good or bad? I think its very very bad. She seems to be cut in the same mould as Bush in terms of ideology and approach to world affairs (blow them up, then ask questions). Colin Powell at least protested, although meekly that Bush wasn't right. However this feel on deaf ears and he didnt stand up and take Bush on. Although he did a lot of good things like put AIDS agenda on the map he will forever be remembered as the man that supported Bush in the mysterious war against the missing weapons.

Rice is a gun (i.e. phenemonal) in her own right. Attended college at the age of 15, PHD in international relations, advising Bush about Germany at the ripe old age of 36. She reminds me of that Tupac line : "I'm young, black and strapped"....well maybe not that last part about being loaded with a weapon, but you know what i mean. She has that fearless attidude that has allowed her to succeed.

Colin Powell's problem was that he was a soldier. And it is totally against the ethos of the combat warrior that is willing to give up his life for his country to turn his back on his leader. For a dude that's been in the armed forces for 23 years, if there's one thing you learn, its to obey your superiors. It wasn't in him to argue against Bush. It would have been sign of disloyalty to his country and everything that he has lived for.

Why i am so interested in American Politics, but don't give a crap about Aussie politics?

New Dance Moves

i don't know if was just me, but i seemed to have spotted a new dance move. they were playing that ludacris song "lean back' and these two girls in front of me on the dancefloor started leaning back. HAHAHA. I think I'm gonna adopt that into my new repotoire. When I was at the Law Ball, i remembered this move I saw in Honey. Lil Bow Wow was doing this "rub the dirt of your shoulder" thing so i started doing it. it was kinda as a joke but i thought it was a quite a funky number. Although Dawen was laughing her head off at me.

MCing, Djing, Breaking, From Your Own Mind You Know

Most teenagers play soccer after skool, tennis or basketball. My lil bro has decided to take up breakdancing and gone to his first breakdancing class today, so i went to pick him up from the Bankstown PCYC. I walked in and they were blaring out some hip hop tracks and there were approx 20 guys mucking around trying to do moves. it wasn't so much a class, more just a gathering of people.

They had mats where people were doing hand stands and helmets lying around, so people could spin on their heads. It was gangsta as everyone was decked out in their most ghetto fabolous breakdancing gear as my lil bro goes "I've never seen so many arm bands b4". Guys were wearing knee pads, bandannas, skullies, baggy jeans.

i felt like a parent going to his kid's first soccer game, as my bro was nervous. But I saw him show his thang with a handstand, then let go of the other hand and did it one handed while leaning back. Then he showed more of his skills by doing a running front flip (Anthony Mundine style sommersault) and taught some kid how to do it. And I can say is he learnt from the best.........me!

We always have these dance-offs battles in the living room where I try to pull out all these moves I've seen in the "You Got Served" Movie. I'm sure I look really lame, but I always have fun by challenging him saying by playing some loud hip hop beat and yelling "You wanna battle? You must be crazy!". And then he proceeds to kill me with his variety of handstands, windmills, then his one handed move with his body horizontal, and this flurry of leg action.

Mini AND1 game

Just FYI, whilst I was watching the breakdance class, I joined a 3 on 3 pickup game. There were these punks trying to pull off AND1 moves on me, and i did get a few bounce passes between my legs and then my shot blocked twice, then shot like 1-10. But I bounced back when with a couple of my signature turnaround jumpshots, cut hard then hit a floating layup drawing some "oohs and aahs". I got embarrased again with another AND1 move, and then I thought "I had enuff of this sh#t. I'm gonna start doing some stuff too". This one guy was talking so much trash to me, I had to bring it - exhibit some DJ Ho flava to shut him up.

So I checked the ball from on top of the 3 point line, drove hard right, blowing past him (at my DJ Ho slow speed), and there was this other guy waiting for me just inside the key. As I approached him and the basket, I did a quick spin to my left and hit a jumpshot from point blank. Money. I started bouncing up and down (cause I seen the black widow do that) and that shut that guy up cause that was the second shot I hit in a row on him. Sometime competiton brings out the best in you.

After I did that, I started getting pretty cocky and threw no look passes, doing some crossovers, started bouncing the ball behind my back continously, doing plenty of fakes whilst positng up. I then got a bit too adventurous by posting up and bouncing the ball behind this guy's back and regather. It didn't work but it went direct to someone in my team, so it looked like I did it on purpose!

And then it was on, game point. It was one point to win and I was pretty nervous. I blew a bouncepass into the key but my team quickly regained possession. I was open somewhere between the right hand side of the key and the three point line. I was in one of my favourite spots because it was at a 45 degree kind of angle. They chucked me the ball and it looked like I was squaring up for a shot, so this guy just ran at me with his arms flailing. What did I do? I calmly drilled a perfect bank shot, a la Tim Duncan style. The only thing I didn't do was call bank, so it wasn't obvious that I had done it on purpose! We won and I had earned my stripes gained some hardearned respect at the PCYC.

Next goal: joining a flavo's game whilst knocking down a few shots, grabbing some boards, throwing some dimes, handling the rock and not letting some 50 year old chump get the better of me whilst dribbling.

No comments: