Saturday, November 13, 2004

Post Mortem

I just completed my first exam, litigation and I think i've done quite poorly. I've studied my ass off for the last week and a half and know the subject back to front. Even the most complex cases I understand. But for all this effort, I don't feel like my exam reflects ANYTHING of what I actually know. I just hate that.

Firstly, it didn't help that my exam was running like 10 minutes late. It was meant to go from 2- 4pm. But we started at 2.15pm and i was full panicking when I got to 3pm because I thought the exam finished at 4pm, not 4.10pm. Those 10 minutes are precious. You could say that I was in a state of frenzy quite similar to Bill Rancic from the Apprentice in the last episode. I then realised that at 4pm, that there was still like 10 mintues to go. I can't really blame anyone as I should have taken this into account, but I choose to blame the exam staff that said "we don't have a room for you. that room is closed" and they funnelled us to different rooms, and then realised that there was no room, and took us back into that room. SO that didn't help at ALL.

Secondly, I just hate exams because it never reflects my ability partly because of the pressure and time involved. We have to spit out everything we know in two hours. As a student, I don't its the optimum learning environment, where you have to cram everything into your head. I prefer assignments as I can do that in my own time, with a lot less pressure. I can do orderly deep complex research, and organise my thoughts and ideas in a logical manner, as opposed to my disjointed and vomit of information. Personally, I feel that I can take away so much more from doing an assignment.

Thirdly, I didn't stick with my game plan. ALthough I have all this stuff SUPPOSEDLY worked out and they are worth equal marks, I always spent too much time on some questions, which takes away from the other ones. Time allocation is so crucial yet I never seem to lose my head in the actual exam. I screwed up BIG time because there were 5 questions and the last couple of questions I had only half the time allocated and it didn't help that I thought that I had less time available.


What I would do

If I ever become an academic, I would either do away with exams or make them count a lot less. Exams just put too much pressure and unnecessary stress on people. But then again, 100% assignments are not the way to go either, because I've had frens fully complain about that too. If Judge Ho every became Dr. Ho (I like the sound of that - Kind of like Dr Dre or Dr J), I'd have assessments throughout the semester and an exam at the end that counted max 30%. I reckon you would save a few years off some people lives.


Dr. Ho is in the house

IF i became an academic, my title would be Dr. Ho B.Bus (Accounting) B. Law (Hons) M. Tax PHD Fantasy Basketball. How cool/weird would that be?!! Hopefully, I get my second class honours in law or even first class (if some miracle happens and I score like 100 in everything), and then do my compulsory Masters in Tax, and then take my PHD in Fantasy Basketball 101, I'd end up with those qualifications.

I am so qualified to do a PHD in fantasy basketball. I have spent enormous amounts of time studying the NBA, reading articles and analysing stats. In addition, I have had extensive discussions on this topic with my fellow illuminaries: Professor Tim, Master Ashby, Dr. Hoi, Dean Bucky, Illinois Scholar Chuck, Emeritus Ken, Adjunct Professor Aadesh, Bacca-Laureate Tony and His excellency Christian.

Seriously, I think we'd make a pretty awesome faculty on fantasy bball. Our combined brainpower and academic research ability would surpass any other faculty in the world, even Brian Funston's team on ESPN Motion.

Who else reads ProBasketball Prospectus at 3AM in the morning whilst on holiday in the Blue Mountains, surrounded by his colleagues Professor Tim and Dr Hoi reading The Jordan Rules and Money Ball.

2 comments:

DJ Ho said...

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'll survive the next 3 exams. I'm feeling alright, just glad to get that subject over with.

DJ Ho said...

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'll survive the next 3 exams. I'm feeling alright, just glad to get that subject over with.