Thursday, November 18, 2004

A MARKED MAN

I woke up this morning and had this sudden urge to calculate my current average, even though i was only half awake. It seems that I have the opportunity to go from second class honours to first class honours. It also is apparent from talking to other students in my course that everyone else is concerned about this phenemomena know as "first class honours". What really bothers me is that I think students these days have become too mark obsessed. I understand that achieveing a high mark is important to most students, but why? Why are we studying our arses off to achieve these elusive marks? I remember hearing Chris saying " I need to get that D!", emphasising it with some karate chop hand action.

In my humble opinion, I think we've all forgotten what uni is about. It's a place to learn, not a place to score the highest marks possible. I've have had the most fun at uni in a long time in this pass/fail course known as "Advocacy", because I didn't have to worry about all this mark rubbish. I was just able to do my best. But then again, would i have been more motivated if there were marks involved?

I think most students worry about marks because of the following reasons:

1) there is a direct link to future job prospects
2) Some people are just high achievers
3) It's a hold over from the HSC days
4) Some people just get obsessed about anything

For the majority of people its the first two, but most likely the first one. Obvoiusly getting a good mark is important to finding a decent job. If i was an employer (Boss Ho), I'd select the people with the better marks. But the thing is, that's only one part of the criteria that I would use. I think its just as important to have other skills like communication, teamwork, leadership, ability to adapt to pressure, ability to innovate. What I would also want is some evidence of life outside of uni. As Aadesh once told me " They don't want a book worm". I totally agree.

If I am a client, I'd select the lawyer that I felt most comfortable with - it's people skills that I'd be after, although i'd be impressed with a first class honours thing hanging on their wall! But if you can't explain to me why you did a certain action or simplify a complex legal concept for me, forget it, I'll take my service elsewhere.

I have learnt as much in the classroom as outside the educative boundaries at uni. I think life experiences and work experience prepares you just as much as hitting the books and attending lectures. That's why I tried to involve myself in stuff and worked my ass off to achieve the following:

- Young Achievers ( i was the finance director - Director Ho)
- Higher Education Workplace Olympiad: National finalist
- Boston Consulting Group: National Finalist

I also did Kung Fu, played basketball, went out with my frens and gf, and tried to fit in some part time work as well. I'm sure if I sacrified my time going out and doing other things and just focused on my studies, I would have cleared that barrier to get first class honours or achieved some average of 99. And must i say, I already did sacrifice a lot and worked hard to get my current average to where it is today.

Also what person would I have become if I became totally obsessed with studying? I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that I've got skills, abilities, and experiences that transcend the class room (i.e. a patented turn around jump shot -hahaha).

And the thing is I heard this quite often: "it's not what you know, its who you know". I think uni is good place to meet people. I've taken the time to make friends with a lot of people and this made going to uni a much more enjoyable experience. And if ya'll know me, you know that I'm connected, like the mob :P . Coz I've also invovled myself in a lot of other activities such as basketball at uni, I've met heaps of people in my course and also outside. I rock up to the courts, and I'm like the local elder stateman (as i have been there for years). I feel like the Black Widow, minus the skills and the reputation.

2 comments:

nayfon said...

*cough* I think you forgot to mention that you don't actually learn anything practical in uni...

DJ Ho said...

i thought you were coughing becoz i compared myself to the black widow. yeah uni is all theory anywayz!