Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Is it possible to be a good lawyer without being dodgy?

As I am currently studying for my legal ethics exam tomorrow, I had this burning desire to write about this issue: Is it possible to be a good lawyer without being dodgy?

Dawen often says to me that I won't make it as a lawyer becoz i'm not dodgy.

However, I disagree as I don't think that being a successful lawyer requires an element of dodginess. There are many good lawyers out there who are not dodgy. Sure you can bend the rules sometimes but sooner or later it'll catch up to you. In additon, what kind of clients would you attract if your dodgy? Obviously clients that are also dodgy. The legal profession requires that the public trust them - you have to have complete confidence that they will keep things confidential and that they will help sort out your problem.

If you adopt the methods shown on "The Practice", you will lose a lot of respect from your fellow peers. It might be good in the short run to be dodgy but in the long run it'll kill you. Personally, I don't think I could walk around with my head held high if I used dodgy methods to help my clients.

Drawing the line between doing what is right and what is wrong is not black and white - there's a lot of grey areas. Is there a difference between finding a loophole and actively exploiting it? Do I do everything in my power to get my client off a criminal charge? Do i resort to underhand tactics like the "PLAN B" in the practice and accuse someone else in a murder trial?

This question doesn't apply to just lawyers. I mean can you be a successful business person without being dodgy? I think you can. As I have said before, there is a difference between being sharp/ using commerical tactics and being outright dodgy.

This questions I think we will come across in our working lives: CAN I BE SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT BEING DODGY?

What does everyone think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you can be a successful lawyer without being dodgy.

Anyways, to the more important issue, who watches The Practice????? I mean like - Law and Order SVU is like so totally better. I mean ... like ... totally der...

DJ Ho said...

law and order? Are you kidding me?!! The only good thing about that show is that ICE T used to be on it. SVU sounds like a jeep.

The Practice rules. No one messes with Jimmy and Eugene.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... like... whatever...

ICE T is still on it :P (well on Thur nights anyway)

Anonymous said...

No chance in hell is Law and Order: SVU (although quite a good show) better than "That Practice". Ice T does not compare to Alan Shore. And Denny Crane? 'Nuff said.