Saturday, November 13, 2004

AND1 Mixtape (Minus Hot Sauce)

Wow, the AND1 mixtape tour was awesome. in case you don't know and have been:
A) hiding under a rock
B) not a fan of basketball,
you missed a pretty cool event. It was a very eagerly anticipated night, by many an AND1 fan. There was a certain buzz around the place when I got there. Everyone was pretty hyped up.

Ghetto Fabolous

Everyone was decked out in their most ghetto fabolous fashion. I was rocking my Dr. J jersey and for once, I didn't feel out of place. Tim had his Robert "Clutch" Horry jersey, Hoi was decked out in a Jordan retro, and Aadesh with his Iverson "Soul on Ice" t-shirt. I spotted a number of other noticeables:

- Bravest guy: Some dude was rocking his Vlade Divac Sacto jersey (hahahah)
- Band wagon: quite a number of Lebron James Cavs floating around as well as Iversons
- Hoochie mamas: saw some teenage chicks wearing Melo nuggets jersey with mini skirts (can you say weird?!)
- The truth is out there: Props to the guy donning the Paul Pierce Celtics number
- Seeing double: Who was wearing my jersey??!!!!! CJ BRUTON!!!!! See great minds think alike. Except his much have been real, otherwise he'd have so street cred at all lol

Actual Game

That depended on who you spoke to. My opinon, there were some absolutely filthy, I repeat filthy alley oop dunks. Woah Mumma. The AND1 team always plays some local players, and they were up against decent local talent.

I think some people were disappointed because they were expecting everything to be like the AND1 mixtapes. Well sorry, but those tapes are like highlight reels, they don't show the whole game. My highlights were watching Sir-Hop-A-Lot (local player) throw down a nasty one handed alley-opp which he had to reach way over his shoulder. Then the And-1 team responded with an alleyoop thrown from halfway. When the ball was coming down I was like "No Way" but Helicopter just crammed it down home. Other noticeable higlights include The Pharmacist crazy handles, where he just plain embarrased "E Man".

My favourtie AND1 player? GOtta be the Black Widow (AKA Alimoe). He's just got really smooth handles and just plain NASTY. The Black Widow hails from New York and is the most known streetball player at Rucker Park . He has some amazing in the air body control. WHen he dribbles he's like swaying side to side, so you don't know which way he's gonna go. That's it, I'm gonna start dribbling like the Black Weeeeeeeeeee-dow.

I remember this dude because in the AND1 mixtape 6, they profiled Black Widow in his own backyard, Harlem NY. He meets some homeboy on the street, and this exchange happens:

ALimoe: (Gives him a hug and then points) This is my nigga, Jake, from up North. He just got out (Ghetto Dictionary: Out of Prison)

Jake: I'm telling Niggas on the inside about the Black Widow.

I'm just like wow, that's pretty impressive, that he's reppin him whilst in Prison. And the coolest bit is when the Black Widow must have been asked what's your background in playing bball and he says "the streets is my resume". If only I could say that at the next job interview.

MIA

There were a number of noticeables missing:

Hot Sauce (apparently you got your own tour now)

SickWidit

Shane "The Dribbling Machine"

Escalade - I wanted to see you dude, apparently your some huge monster

Half Man Half Amazing - THe man with the original name before Vince Carter was annointed.

Skip to My Lou - How could you give up the AND1 tour for a starting position at the Toronto Raptors?!!! Your a sellout! Nah, you deserve it man, you worked your way up from the streets. The streets will always give you love.

No comments: