Monday, November 08, 2004

Next chapter in my life

Last friday's Litigation lecture will be my last lecture ever at uni. Although I may be doing a masters degree next year in tax, I am slightly sentimental because I will no longer be attending uni, going to classes, and seeing some of my best friends at uni. I've been to uni for a long, long time. 5 years in fact. A lot of my waking hours have been spent at the markets campus, which has been like my second home for the past 5 years. Whereas most people just came to class and left immediately, I was one of those people that used to hang around, talk to people, play some pick-up basketball, liked to study at the cafeteria/library, log on to check my email every couple of hours or so. I am not sure about how working will go because I am so used to the uni life - study, go to class for 12 weeks, exams, then a 3 month break.

I am someone that probably prefers normality and consistentcy rather than constant change. That is why I am very happy to be working at Deloittes, where I did my summer vacation internship last year. I already know most of the people I will be working with, my divison, approximately where I will be sitting, even worked out who my lunch buddies (Dawen!) will be.

There will be a transition from uni life to working life. Maybe bigger for me that most people because I have spend most of my time at uni and the fact that I have only worked sporadically part time. I just hope that my five years undergraduate training will bode me well for my future career.

The thing I will miss most once I leave uni will be the friends that I used to see every day. I have forged many good friendships over the years and these people have helped me along the way and made life a lot more fun for me. The daily interactions, the communal worrying about exams/assignments, the joint criticisms of uni are things that I will miss most. Because I have been at uni so long, in a concentrated area (the markets campus), I am able to walk from one end to the other and usually say "hi" to few people along the way. It was cool mixing with the year above me, and the year below me, and also with a lot of the ballers that weren't in my course.

Uni has helped shaped the person that I am today. Firstly, mentally in the things that I was taught (I am sure that accounting standard AASP 10785743 will come in handy one day). Often, I wasn't pushed extremely hard in the accounting courses, but I am sure that it has moulded my way of thinking.
Secondly, uni also developed me socially. I went from an environment at high skool which was all boys, to a co-ed environement. Bit of change, I would have to say. It was at UTS where I also met my lovely girlfriend, Dawen. It was here that i learnt how to do group work, although I must admit that in the majority of the groups that i was in, I happen to do most of the work.

No comments: