Sunday, October 17, 2004

What's your fantasy?

The fantasy NBA draft is coming up on tueday at 11pm for the fantasyflavo's league. In case you don't know Fantasy NBA is a game played based on the statistics of NBA players. In our league of 7 players, particpants will choose the players through a live draft system, with the order of drafting determined randomly.

The draft is crucial to the success of your team. It could make or break you for the rest of the season. Previous busts that I have drafted include Eddy "I'm worth 80million" Curry. Players can adopt different strategies in the selection of their team. Some people like to choose the best players first, and then build the team around them. Others prefer to select the best big players as there are less of them eg centers and power forwards, then go for the glut of small forwards/shooting guards in the next couple of rounds, then make a run for the point guards in the later rounds.

A lot of this depends on what happens on the draft day. You may have a player who you want really badly but someone else may happen to snap them up before you do. My tip is to focus on guys in the later rounds. Everyone pretty much knows which players are in the top 20's to 30's but its the players in the middle round and last couple that could really make a difference. It's where the true gm's really stand out. Guys like me attempt to study statistics of players, read up on injuries, latest news, fantasy draft analysis. I don't do it specifically for fantasy NBA, I just to it cause I'm obsessed with basketball.

I don't know if you can tell, but I've been really looking forward to draft day. It's really fun and I love just figuring who I want to take and who everyone else will take. The post-mortem is also quite fun, admiring other people's shrewd selections. Or just laughing at the justification of why Ashby drafted a certain player in the hope of stuffing everyone else up.

Pain in the ass

Apologies to everyone in my league for changing the draft time several times. It's a very long story, but because its in US Central standard time I had to convert it to Australian Sydney time. It wasn't easy. Ashby, Tim and I counted backwards 16 hours and verified it. However, when I checked up several online world clocks, it was one hour different.

THEN, one of our particiapants, couldn't make it at that time, so i had to change it. THEN, I emailed another manager of another league, to confirm the time as we had set it for the same time. However it was totally different. I wondered why, and checked the countdown clock for the draft. To my shock and amazement, the countdown clock was running at a different time to central standard time. So I had to recalculate the time and double check with another league.

To just triple check, I set up another league to test run the time set for 11pm last friday. The countdown clock ran perfectly. However, I couldn't draft as I set up a head to head league and I didn't have enough players to run it. But the timer worked!

In short, 11pm tuesday night. It's set in stone, I'm not changing it again otherwise I will go insane.

No comments: