Saturday, October 16, 2004

There's a hair in there

I need a haircut very badly. My side burns are huge. I would make Elvis Presley proud. The thing is I'm the type of person that doesn't get a haircut until it's absolutely necessary. Kind of like not mowing a lawn until the grass is 15cm high. Or not cleaning my car window until it's absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but I have had the same haircut for the last 5 years. Short, spiky hair. NO variation. My hair gets longer but I try to do the same thing with the hair as if it's short. Only until I can't spike up the front anymore, I realise that it might be time to get a haircut.

Hmm I'd like to get another kind of haircut, but what would i get? Maybe I'll shave my heads and get some lines across the side of my head ala Willie Tonga style. It seems popular amongst some young NRL footballers. Not sure how good that would look on me though.

Maybe I should dye my hair. Do something different. It's always been my natural colour - black. How would i look with orange hair? Or as a blonde. I wouldn't go that drastic, but i'll experiment a little in the future. But you know what, I'm pretty conservative kind of guy so I prolly never will. back to the same old haircut.

The other issue is where do I get my haircut? I usually go to hurstville where I pay $7. It used to be $6 when I went to "666", this haircut salon run by some Honkies/Mainlanders. But they didn't treat my head right last time I was there. It was like some kind of supermarket and the job was finished in less than 5 minutes. That doesn't really bother me as long as it looks alright.

But the hairdresser was treating my head very roughly. I mentioned to him several times that the bib was too tight around my neck and I think he got slightly pissed. SO he decided to brush my hair rather roughly and seemed to be applying slightly more than reasonable force. In short, I felt my hair was getting violated. I should report him to like the hair dressers association or somethign and get their license revoked.

Instead, i have decided to take my business elsewhere (i.e. around the corner, about 5 metres away) and i feel that this hairdresser is a lot better. He takes his time, has a chat with me about the weather and about my trip to the blue mountains and the snow. It was a much more personal experience than the factory process job at 666. It must be noted though that it wasn't a busy day. Very late Sunday afternoon.

But I feel that the $1 increase in fees ($7 total) was worth the investment. A new haircut is important to people. It refreshes your appearance and gives you a cleaner look. But then again, if it's done badly, it could ruin your day (eg. at 666 haircut salon).

No comments: