Monday, August 22, 2005


"Throw your hands in the air like you just don't care/Let hear you scream "Oh Yeah"

The crowd goes wild, as DJ Ho spins another head banger. Cuttin' and mixin', he blends two tracks that mathematically should not go together. Juggling the beats, he switches it up. Dropping the pitch cue and then bumping up the rotation speed he creates a totally new song.

Heads are mesmerised as he scratches the verse on the vinyl, looping it over and over again. In the background, the faint beat of another track populates the air. The crossfader has moved to the middle and he unleashes the beat from the next track. Hitting the bass beat again and again, the crowd nods in sync.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And then suddenly I wake up and realise that I'm not in front of a crowd but rather hunched over some Stanton turntables in my cousin's room.

It was cool, learning the craft of djiing, experimenting with different songs, mucking around with the pitch cues. Timing my scratches on the bass beat, trying to repeat certain phrases which I thought sounded nice. I generally had no idea what I was doing but was definently having fun. I did a couple of the behind the back scratches and then some really fast pauses, crossing my hands.

It was awesome. Djiing is quite an expensive hobby. Both turntables set my cousin back about
$750 each, plus a mixer would have been several hundred. He must have invested several grand in the records as well.

Seriously, if i could have one dream job in the world it would be to be a DJ. I probably could not be bothered putting the time into learning and finetuning the art.

but finally last night, DJ Ho got down on the decks.

Peace out,

DJ Ho.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Student154 said...

I wanna get me a cd scratcher... cost like 1200 but

DJ Ho said...

What is with all these anonymous comments/advertising?

ALso, does anyone know how to delete this stuff or remove the comments.

It's annoying.