Monday, August 29, 2005

Man I promise, she's so self conscious
She has no idea what she's doing in college
That major that she majored in don't make no money
But she won't drop out, her parents will look at her funny
Now, tell me that ain't insecurrre
The concept of school seems so securrre
Sophmore three yearrrs aint picked a careerrr

Kanye on "All falls down"

I'm supposed to have this "talk" with my lil brother today. He's doing the HSC in about 6 weeks, but he doesn't seem to be doing much study. He's smart, and very savvy, but he doesn't seem to hit the books like it matters. I mean when you go to a breakdance tournament and then stay over at a friend's party over the weekend , not much study is going to get done. It's very unfortunate that our education system and our society place so much emphasis on these final high school exams.

My mum has tried to get through to him to "put his down and bum up" for the next two months but critizing him doesn't seem to work. So she's counting on me to have a kinda of a big brother talk to him. I think my angle is to try and motivate him, rather than critize him.

He's going through everything that I went through in terms of worrying about the HSC, trying to figure out what uni course to take and so on. It's a really difficult time for any young person. if I look back, I didn't really have anyone to turn to except my friends (who were in a similar position) and my parents. I wished I had an older brother or a friend that was older than me to let me know it would turn out alright.

I told him, whatever course you pick, don't do law - cause we can't have 3 lawyers in the family. I steered him away from software engineering (industry downturn), enouraged him to do just do whatever he wants, though I did mention enginnerring, business/commerce, industrial design, liberal studies. I think i even said do a Music Production course (but that was more for me!).

Knoweldge is power,

DJ Ho.

3 comments:

Student154 said...

it would be power if knowledge is spelt correctly!!

DJ Ho said...

smartarse!

Goose Remix said...

That last para didn't make that much sense. You told him to do whatever he wants, but you told him right before that not to do law or software engineering?! Haha good stuff good stuff.