Saturday, August 20, 2005

Round 2: Fight!




Don't really feel like posting up anything long today since I've just been at work all day on a SATURDAY. I've been thinking about this for a while, but what are the top 10 video games of all time? This list isn't definitive, it's just the games that I love to play growing up.

1. Street Fighter 2: Whether it was TURBO, CE, 3, and any other version, the original was the real deal. Ahhh many wasted hours of my youth playing as Ryu or Ken and perfecting the art of the 3 hit combo. I still remember the combinations - the sweet science of the jumping heavy kick, then big sweep, or the jumping heavy punch, ducking medium punch, followed by an "R U Ken?" uppercut.

2. NBA Jam: Classic. Loved the cartoonish NBA characters and the wild dunks. What was better than dunking the ring continously until the glass shattered Shaq Attaq style? And the hot hand - "he's heating up". I still remember eagerly scanning the stats after each quarter to see if I'd reach the elusive triple double.

3. NBA Live 2005: What can I say - the realism, the 3D rendering was just amazing and best of all the ability to play as your favourite players. i could play this game all day and do those fantasy drafts again. and again until I created the perfect team.

4. Daytona: How good was this game back in the day? I haven't still conquered manual but I loved challenging a buddy to a few laps of the beginner circuit - or even better - linking up 8 cars for a race.

5. Time Crisis 2: I still play this game to this day. When I see it, it's like its calling me. I'll do anything to find a dollar and start blasting those ninja fools away. Embarrasing fact - on the selection screen where you shoot to indicate if you wanna go solo or with a teammate, I actually shot a whole round and missed, and was forced to reload.

6. Tetris: If you think SF2 or NBA jam was old skool, this is ancient. Lining up those blocks, rotatin', this game was straight gangsta on the green and black screen gameboy.

8. Mortal Kombat: The first video game to take realism to the next level with blood. How awesome were the fatalities. Simply mindblowing concept - have real fighters, digitised and then go up a notch with Mortal Kombat 2. The characters were just phenemonal - SubZero, Scorpion ("Get Over here"), and the morphin' Shang Tsung.

9. Space Invaders: Taking it back to the 80's. We used to have an Atari (I bet you new school cats diggin your Xboxes, Playstation portables have no idea) with 32 colours and it was gangsta. The only game that was worth playing was Space Invaders and it rocked. Dodgin, and weavin, this original shoot em up paved the way for the rest of the games that we know it.

10. Super Mario World: It took me about 2 years to conquer this game but it was well worth it. I wasn't feeling the old school NES editions, but when it was brought to Super Nintendo, I was all over it. The brothers Luigi and Mario stepped their game up and kept me awake on many school nights.

Honourable Mentions: Donkey Kong Land/Original, Dune 2, Zelda (ohh I love this game), The Secret of Mana. I don't mess with these new games like Counterstrike, Diablo, etc...... but back in the day, the top 10 games were the shiznit.

Peace.


DJ Ho.



4 comments:

Student154 said...

Madden, Madden, Madden.... the sheer thought of it gets chuck, chrissy and myself salivating... Admittedly, had been without Madden, our uni marks for the past few years would have been greater. However, for me, Madden was like a shining light.

It was with me through the best of times and the worst of times. When I finish an exam, and wanted to come home and unwind, I'd play madden. When I was stuck at home, not able to move for 6 months after breaking my leg, I played Madden. After my breakup, I'd play madden. Break from studying, I'd play madden. Passing time before going on a date, I'd play madden. Getting pumped up before a basketball game, I'd play Madden. It's great how for a while at least, nothing else matters, but making that 4th down conversion.

I don't have time to do it as much as I used to. But I think Madden's probably the best game for me at least, for the past few years.

Anonymous said...

NBA Jam is the be all and end all for me. If my MegaDrive hadnt died about 6 years ago, I'd probably still be playing it regularly to this day. "He's heatin up!"..."Oh my!...He's on fire"..."rejected!"...."Boom Shaka Lakka"

Anonymous said...

How can you not have any FPS's in there? I can still remember playing duke nukem 3d over dialup, constantly opening a can of whooop ass on hen-ray. Or syncing watches with Jerm so I knew exactly when to dial up his computer (being a tightass makes for stories which are so easy to laugh and cry at later).

But in my mind the biggest amount of time I (and Ed and Jerm) wasted was on Tekken 4 and NFL Street. The number of times we decided to go to uni late, followed by deciding not to go at all would have easily filled a semester. Ahh the joys of carpooling...

nayfon said...

Live 2005 is crap...it feels too slow...Live 2003 and 2004 are where it's at...
best NBA game would be Hangtime (like Jam but better graphics and gameplay)