Saturday, August 13, 2005

Runnin' Runnin': City 2 Surf


Heart Pounding.

Heavy breathing.

Ipod blaring Pharrell's voice in my head.

The little voice keeps saying: I can do this, I can do this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went for a light run today as my warmup for City 2 Surf. It should be interesting since I haven't done much training at all. I can see myself collapsing about midway, or dying after running up HeartBreak Hill.

Today was quite good. Woke up at 7.30am, tried to simulate the conditions by going for a run at 8am in only my t-shirt and shorts. I ran for about 20 minutes, came back to the house, had a breather and a cool drink and hit the pavement again. All up I ran about 35 mins on smooth jogging pace. I was conscious about not overexerting myself before race day but I felt good afterwards and could have done more.

My plan is to run in 20 minute blocks and stop for a breather. We'll see how that goes, but ultimately I'd like to aim for 100 - 120 minutes, being my first time and all. I'm at the back of the pack so I'll prolly be dodging prams and gorilla suits at the start, then the rest of the crowd.

Fitness is something that I desperately need to work on post City 2 Surf. There's not much of a chance to get out these days, but I'm thinking maybe during my lunch breaks at work, I'll go for a jog to Opera House or do some laps of Hyde Park. And mix it up with basketball at lunch, and if I feel like it some volleyball or netball.

No comments: