Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Follow the leader


Is one born a leader or made a leader?

It is a question that haunts us to this very day. We have those army ads that say otherwise but in my humble opinion, its a combination of both. I think some people are natural born leaders and some become leaders as result of the environment that they grow up in.

Why all this talk about leadership? Well I just came back from a function where retired head of Australian army, Peter Cosgrove AC MC gave a talk about leadership. Sidenote: apparently, MC does not stand for master of ceremonies.

Anyways, what he was saying was that leaders share certain character traits. Their confident, have high energy levels and are emotional. And I agree with the first two this but not the part about being emotional. Some leaders are highly emotional but there are those that are cool and calculated. I think it is their ability to evoke emotion in others that sets them apart from normal people. To make others feel some kind of emotion, whether it be pride or anger, etc.

It's funny, but you can tell when someone's a leader. To me, sometimes its quite obvious. It is the people that can command respect amongst their peers. That can really influence people with their words and action. That can inspire and hold together a group of people when hell breaks loose.



I see it in the guy that plays for my basketball team. When he's on the floor, everything is cool. He's a calming influence. When he's off and I'm handling the ball, everything goes nuts. This could be a reflection of my point guard skills. More likely this guy not only is a good baller but has the ability to control the tempo of the game and is able to direct traffic. Everyone feels a lot more comfortable when he's on the floor, when he's telling peeps what to do, etc.. I see the same thing when Hoi's playing ball on Thursday. I see it in the way he influences, motivates and commands respect in the timeouts.

What really separates a leader from everyone else is their confidence. It's as simple as that. I really believe that you can't be leader without it. When I look at at the major leaders in the world, whether it be corporate, sporting, armed services, political, and criminal spheres that's what it boils down. That's what they all share in common. Sure sometimes, they may lack self confidence, but they don't show it. Because as soon as you do, you crack and everyone does as well.


So the question remains, are people born leaders or can they be made to be leaders? No matter now many leadership or management classes you take, books you read or instructions you get, it doesn't transform you into a leader. Rather it refines or improves your leadership ability. Traits like confidence and motivation - are you born with these? Arguably you gain them through life experiences, the people that you interact with, and the way that you react to these. So born aren't born with these abilities, but they are gained. Educated by the twists and turns of life and the people that they meet on these travels.

As Rakim says, " You better take a deep breath and keep followin, The leader."

Show and prove,

DJ Ho.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No picture of Hoi the great leader?

Student154 said...

yeah, come to gridiron and do some leading

DJ Ho said...

Tim - while much respect to Hoi, I prolly wouldn't class him in the same league as Bill Clinton, Nelson Mandela, MJ or Tony. And thus no pics!

Bos - I'll give it a miss, as my leg isn't fully recovered. Plus I don't want to be an even easier target since I'm so slow anyway.

DJ Ho said...

hey yoga can be quite an intense sport! all that stretching and limbering.

Goose Remix said...

Most leaders are also really good at what they do - unfortunately, as my not-so-fantastic skills and my body declines, so does my leadership skills.

But yeah, thanks for the props Ho - you're quite perceptive :D Good stuff!