Saturday, August 13, 2005

Mixing hip hop into the workplace

Workplace cultures are dynamic because it is representative of the behaviours of the employees that work there, the policies and procedures, the influence of senior management and so on. If one of the factors of workplace culture is the behaviour of their employees, can an employee influence it if he or she is down with hip hop? Because hip hop is a lifestyle - you live it and breathe it. So much that it's been exhibited in my working environment by your truly.

Case in point:

1. I've been bopping my head to the Roots CD which is constantly playing on my computer, so much so that everytime this chick walks past my desk she mockingly imitates me.

2. Emails being sent around are usually ended with "Peace out", "1" or more commonly "word is born".

3. I'm supposed to host this work lunch, and in a conversation with a co-worker who is the co-host and she was saying "maybe we shouldn't be ending our speeches with 'Fo Shizzle', 'Yo Mama', '1', etc....

4. Walking to work the other day, I heard them blaring TQ's 'Westside' from a bar. So when the line "To my peoples if you with me - where you at/Throw your dubs in the air - and wave 'em like you just don't care", what did yours truly do? I threw up a dub as I walked past. There were a few strange onlookers, but I don't care - wesside fo life!

5. Teaching this chick at work all the gangsta hand signs from the simple Westside 'W', Eastcoast 'E', the crown for the Latin Kings, and the Crips 'C'. Don't they say that 80% of communication is visual?

6. Rocking up to work on mufti day looking like some character from OZ. Decked out in my baggy grey jeans, Yellow Timbo's, black leather jacket, and shirt emblazoned with 'semi automatic'.


7. Most people have a copy of some publication that their reading on their desk, eg. like Financial Review, BRW, Cosmo, 9 to 5. I've got a copy of the Source with Ja Rule on the cover. Represent y'all!

8. A lot of people swap CD's at work to listen to.

Colleague: "what are you listening to?.
Me: "Can I interest you in Common? Kanye West? Jay-Z ? The Roots? Maybe Raekwon's 'Only Built for Cuban Linx Niggaz'? The Wu Tang Clan?".
Colleague: "Maybe I'll pass."

9. And of course when I'm going home, I do the whole gangsta fist bump. What did you expect?

Very subtley, I am introducing the key elements of hip hop into my workplace. From showing DVD's of my brother breakdancing (breaking), hosting a work function (MC'in), telling everyone my nickname and the fact that I love going to DJ tournaments (DJ'in) and of course explaining to people the art of urban expression - (graffiti). I know that people like KRS-1 have said that there are additional elements of hip hop but look we have to start somewhere, and I'm doing my best. It ain't easy to change a workplace culture or being a hip hop workplace pioneer :P

Peace out.

DJ HO.

2 comments:

Student154 said...

HAHA, yeah dats right! represent! I had NWA's straight out of compton on my desk the other day...
It's funny hearing the office communicate in ebonics... but hey; what is is what is yo

Inside Man said...

Very fortunate, my workcenter is mixed with country music and hair metal rock. I work with old white guys basically. I have to tone it down just to get point across..