Thursday, January 19, 2006

To the Incoming Graduates of 2006 and beyond........

I think I'm supposed to help out in the induction process of the new graduates at my work next month since I'm in the graduate committee, but I'll be on holidays. But what happened last year was that a graduate who had already worked a year opened up our induction program (first day at work) with an informal speech.

Rather I'll give you something more useful - 10 practical things I wish I knew or discovered along the way and some reflections as well. They are generic as possible - i've gone for things that apply to everyone rather than stuff which is industry specific. It's long, but if you want advice, it doens't come in a short form.

DJ Ho's 10 pointers for graduates

1. Time is of the essence

I mentioned this a while ago but this is one of the biggest transitions you have to deal with, especially in client facing roles. With uni, you get deadlines which you are usually a few weeks/months away. The environment is more controllable, and you hand in something right on time or a little bit after, that's cool.

Well you can't do that anymore. I had to quickly realise that although something is due by today, you have to hand in a lot earlier than that (say 2pm or 3pm rather than close of business). This gives your manager or someone higher up time to review and change things. Also, it impresses people if you can hand in something before the deadline. Also, being able to manage your time is important - dealing with multiple tasks, and letting people know where you are at. You've got to show people especially early on that you can meet deadlines and effectively manage your time.

I know time is important to all working people, but in my industry you have to record what you are doing every 6 minutes (that's how professional services firms bill).

2. Quality

At uni I was comfortable handing in an assignment that could score 70-80% plus. Of course i usually i was aiming for much higher than that, but if i got back 75% I'd be like "cool". Not any more, young padawan. The stuff that you hand in has to be like aiming for 100% each time. Stuff that I do gets passed onto a client. We've got to ensure that everything is of the highest quality. It's the same if your a manufacturing firm making products, a law firm drafting documents, a call centre delivering customer service. Everything you do, has to be of the highest standard.

Why? Keep up the rep of your company. To ensure your customers get the very best and are completely satisfied, and don't consider going elsewhere.

3. Working in teams - for the greater good

Everyone can claim that they worked in groups at uni, they are great team player, that's fantastic. Really. When you start working, you have to realise that most people work in teams. You've got to be a team player. A lot of stuff can't get accomplished by a single person.

You've got to build trust in your group. Prove to them that you can meet deadlines, that you can produce quality work, and you will give it your all basically. When you start out, if someone higher than you asks you do to something, just do it. Don't question it. Sure get some clarification. But don't be a smartass and ask "why". There's a difference between the former and understanding something. A fine line which you must tread carefully.

I remember when I was working til 10pm with my team at a client site. I was told that I could go home. But I said, "As long as I can still be useful and there are things for me to do, I'll stay with everyone". You can't bail in that situation. So I ended up staying til midnight! Trust me, if you bail like I did in the past - it looks bad, especially if you went to Friday night drinks instead!

You've got to be down for whatever. It's about the actions and the attitude.

4. The best graduates can stand back and can see the whole forest but can also see the trees.

I think that's the correct expression. Everyone is good at looking at the details - knowing the specific task they are working on. But what makes someone stand out in my mind is the graduate that can understand the purpose of what they are doing. That can understand what the overall goal or what that task is meant to achieve. Being able to step back and see the overview of the whole project or what department is trying to do.

That's how I separate the sheep from the goats. Being able to see the trees and the forest at the same time. That's what leaders are made of.

So you've got to ask questions "Why am I doing this" and phrased in not a smart ass way (that fine line I was talking about) or simply being able to visualise the goals of the project.

5. Takes notes (while I take totes of the marijuna smoke) and clarify

Ok, that a biggie line. But this was passed down to me from Aadesh. I don't care what industry your're in, you've got to take notes son. Especially if you're new. I'm not the best listener in the world and even if you are, if someone tells you 10 things, you are going to struggle to remember everything. If you roll up to someone's desk, go to a meeting, sit in on a phone conference, bring that white paper along and a pen. Take down instructions, everything relevant.

The worst thing to do is to walk away from a meeting, a chat, a conference and not know what is going on. Then to try and figure it out and then go back ask that person. It doens't impress people and shows your're an idiot. And more importanlty, you might do the task wrong cause you haven't written it down.

Best tip of all from Aadesh (the master :P)? Clarify the message/instructions by repeating back to the person what they told you. i.e. "So you want me to do Task A, then Task B and call Person C?".

Also, for legal reasons and to protect your own ass you write stuff down as a file note. When I worked in a law firm, I was told by a partner (who is now a consultant to one of the big 4 law firms around ie. they come to her for advice) that we write down everything, so that if ever go to court, we can prove that someone said this. Even if your notes are messy, if can interpret them you can protect your neck ie. "Boss, On the 5th of March, you said that you wanted a cappuccino with 2 sugars".

I think this is going to take longer than I thought to write, plus I have to go to work. I'll continue it tomorrow/weekend, and give you the other 5.

Let me know if its useful/what you think.

Peace Out,

DJ Ho.

No comments: