Saturday, January 21, 2006

Straight outta Oz: The shower scene from hell

I don't mind showering at the gym. Or seeing other people almost totally naked in the change room. I'm mature enough to deal with that. Occassionally, I can put up with guys walking around naked in the public change room. Walking straight from the shower to putting on their clothes with no towel around them. I'm comfortable with seeing another guy's ass though not very comfortable seeing another guy's penis.

So last Thursday after completing my first kickboxing lesson, I'm sweating like I've just stepped outta the rain. My B.O. (body odour) levels are totally off the charts and my clothes are totally drenched. I see a guy walking around naked and think this is not usual, but say to myself "ok, I can deal with this". I walk into the shower room and HELLO! its just an open area with showerheads. No walls/doors separating the showerees. Picture this: 4m x 4m room, tiled white, showerheads alongside the walls. The middle of the room is empty and there is one very built naked guy (that was walking around naked before) having a shower on the close wall.

I'm just thinking, what the..........? This is a shower scene straight outta Oz. At this point I think I can quickly get the hell outta there, go home and have a shower, complete with walls and secure locked door. But considering how sweaty I am, and that I'm going to catch the train home, I don't want to be some kind of social outcast who smells like he hasn't had a shower in a month. So really I've got no option, but to hang my towel on the rack, strip completely down and hope that this guy doesn't tell me to pick up the soap.


Surveying my options, I take the opposite wall from this guy. As far away as possible and face the wall like the whole time. I'd seen enough episodes from Oz and that shower scene in American History X where Edward Norton gets raped up the ass by this huge White Nazi dude with 4 guys holding him down. Maybe its paranoia, maybe its a fear of the unknown, maybe too many jail house movies, definently too many uncomfortable thoughts running around my head.


Thank goodness I brought my shower gel. So I minding my own business, very conscious of the guy on the opposite wall, hoping he's not checking out the new "meat". All I can say is this - holding your ass cheeks in and showering is not a pleasant experience. THEN, to compound the problem, more guys start coming into the shower room. A guy comes up next to me and starts turning the shower knobs only to discover it doens't work. To my horror, he moves behind me and I'm very conscious of where he is (sixth sense kicking in), and he moves to the corner of the room. I know there's no rules around open communal shower engagement, but dude your invading my sphere of privacy here! Maintain your distance like you've got some kind of AVO order.

After a very brief shower, I got the hell outta there only to be greeted by multiple well hung Irish gentlemen getting changed and engaging in deep and meaningful discussion about life and its mysteries (something about getting with Kate/the females in our class/the tall blonde chick in our class - you know the usual D&M conversations you get with guys). Without my regulator hat on, I just got changed and met my female friend outside.

She's like "where were you, I've been waiting out here for the last 10 minutes?".

Me: "oh, I just had a shower".

Her: "I didn't even bother".

All I'm thinking is I wish I took that option.

Peace Out,

DJ Ho.

6 comments:

nayfon said...

if it's any comfort to you, I had some guy check me out whilst at the urinal...he took several glances...I felt violated...

Anonymous said...

could he find it Nayfon?

Anonymous said...

That was uncalled for, so my appologies if I offended you Nate. I'm sure he was impressed.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to nudidty too, but I think we are all a bit too uptight about it. After all, its natural. Its the way god made you (for those of you that believe in that), so why be ashamed of it or other ppl seeing it? At least in a change room or shower, I think u gotta relax a bit. I think most ppl dont wanna see your goodies as much as u dont wanna see theirs, and really Ho, a gym change room is not prison. there are plenty of readily availabe girls just outside the door, so I doubt guys are gonna be trying to rape you. You've definately seen too many prison movies/TV shows

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tim. U have definately been watching TOO many prison movies. Besides, who would want to rape u? haha,, kidding kidding! haha,, I'm sure there are prisoners out there that would be interested in the random "fresh meat."

DJ Ho said...

nayfon - hahaha. I guess that's how chicks feel when we check them out on the street!~ maybe he was comparing?!

Tim - It just doesn't feel comfortable. I'm glad to report that I didn;t use it today, instead used the showers in my building which are immaculate AND have partitions.

Dizzy - you of all people! Prison movies are mad - shawshank redemption, green mile, longest yard, Con Air, etc.... and now there's going to be Prison Break. It's a whole new world!

Inside Man said...

Just remembering American History X makes me walk around in the lockeroom with my head on a swivel.