Sunday, March 20, 2005

Let me hear you say "3 peat"

Watched the Sydney Kings last nite produce a piece history by winning the third championship. I wasn't overly excited as game 3 was a total blowout. In the second quarter it was when we blew Wollongong away. After CJ Bruton's scored a breakaway layup, and landed into the photographer's laps, he stole the inbounds pass and scored again - this was what started the barrage of points. Man, I've never seen a team so hot - Jason Smith was on fiyya by blowing up for 38 points with 6 3-pointers. Even the centre Mark Sanford joined in with the 3 point action by burying a couple of 3's - that's when you know its all over baby.

All I can say is its great to see the Kings doing so well. Back in the day when I followed the kings in primary school, we were ranting on about Dwayne McClain, Ken McClary and then later in high school we were repping Leon Trimmingham and Isaac "Ice" Burton. Still have memories of Mark Dalton coming to my school to run some practice drills and some kid asking him to fake a dwyane McClain signature.

All my life

Congratulations to Kevin & Souda on their engagement. Love is a 10 letter word - c.o.m.i.t.t.m.e.n.t and they have shown that by publicly stating their intentions to get married. I always thought there might have been some sparks when they were both working for Ho Ho's Gifts. I actually do know some people my age who are engaged and married but yeah, can't see myself doing anything like that at the moment (sorry Dawen :P). In today's day and age, it seems people are waiting til they a bit older - say 26-27 years old to tie the knot. It's prolly a combination of a couple of factors - people being more career focused these days, women being more independent, people wanting to achieve a few more things, the costs of marriage, and people just simply not wanting to get married yet.

Telling it like it is

There's a part of me that forgets why I studied law in the first place. There's also a significant part of me that thinks "do I even want to be a lawyer?."

Studying law seemed like a good choice when I finished high school coz I was really feelin' Legal Studies. But after 5 years of slaving away at uni learning stuff like "the happy life" in remedies, how to write up a will (you saw my effort a while back :P), about 187 (murda) and manslaughter in criminal law I think why did I do all this for.

There's an really arrogant/ambitious part of me that says that says that its not worth being a lawyer if i'm not in a big ass firm like Mallesons. But the thing is that's not why I chose to do law in the first place. I loved it coz we were learning about society and its history - back in high school it was about learning about the common man, about industrial relations - workers rights, why they should be protected, minimum wage, compensation for injuries and all that. And then we learnt about women's rights - voting, right to equal pay for equal work, the glass wall and the glass ceiling. That was the bomb back then.

But now its like I've lost that drive to be a lawyer - maybe it'll never suit me. Maybe I just liked studying it coz it crossed such a wide spectrum of stuff - religion, community views, politics, and I was interested in all dat. What's the glory in being a commercial lawyer? That's not what motivated me to study in the first place. It was about helping people, fighting for their rights, about injustice.

Now that I'm working in tax for one of the Big 4 firms, peeps ask me frequently "why? You studied law. Thought you'd be a lawyer". I can't say its what I envisioned but its a good start to my career. I don't want to bore you too much but if you wanna work in this area let me know and I'll drop the 411. But in short, you need to have studied either accounting or law or perfect if studied both. You'll struggle a bit without law when the stuff gets technical - if hit me when we have meetings where we go through the latest cases, law amendments or if you have to apply tax laws to a client't situations. From my last recollection, of the 24 noobies that are in tax, all but 3 have studied law.

That's all for now folks,

Elmer Fudd aka DJ Ho.

1 comment:

nayfon said...

It's the coach (Gorjian) that made the difference. I remember the King's had brilliant players like Damien Keogh, the D-Train, Ken McClary, Dean Utoff and came up with nothing.