Wednesday, March 09, 2005


"I was a fiend before I became a teen
I melted microphone instead of cones of ice cream
Music orientated so when hip hop was originated
Fitted like pieces of puzzles complicated
'Cause I grabbed the mic and try to say " Yes y'all!"
They tried to take it and say that I'm too small
Cool 'Cause I don't get upset
I kick a hole in the speaker pull the plug then I jet
Back to the lab ...without a mic to grab "

When I first heard about Eric B & Rakim, it was like there were hip hop icons and i knew i had to get their music. After listening to their greatest hits collection for the 100th time, i'm still amazed by their lyrical delivery, execution, and slick production. Rakim's voice is just awesome and his rhymes aren't about the typical gangster-i'm gonna bust a cap in your ass-while surrounded by hoochie mama's and nice cars. It's intellectual rhyming, old skool style, with witty punchlines. I still rate the song "Guess who's back" as one of my all time favourite rap songs.Eric B and Rakim - hip hop's greatest duo?

I'll leave you with one of my favourite lyrics:

"I came in the door i said it before
I never let the mic magnatize me no more
But it's biting me fighting me inviting me to rhyme
I can't hold it back
I'm looking for the line
Taking off my coat clearing my throat
My rhyme will be kicking it until I hit my last note"

a dj ho production

1 comment:

chrome said...

I first heard their "pump up the volume" back in the day and it blew me out. never heard anything so slick. suffice to say millions of afternoons where spent practising my breakdance moves