Sunday, January 21, 2007

Nas v Jay Z

It's sunday morning, and i've been up since 8am. What have I been doing on this productive morning?

Well I've been checking out hip hop music videos and come across some more gems which I thought i'd share with y'all. I don't want to put all of them on here (i.e. youtube you out). Lately I've been incorporating a lot of youtube videos in my posts because I've recently discovered how to post them, i like sharing them plus I've been a bit lazy.

It actually takes a bit of effort to write a coherent post and I've been busy lately. Hoi's comment in my last post was kinda on point. The last post is the best I've done in a while and I did put a bit of thought into it. I don't feel like I've had a major hit (a brilliant post) for like a couple of months. All I do these days is post random ish.

Over the past month or so I have been slightly preoccupied. I had my 25th birthday party, work was getting busy, I was going out a fair bit, and I've been sick.

Oh and did I mention that I have a new girlfriend? :P

New York's Finest

I wanted to share these old videos I've come across lately. First up on the mic is a young fresh 17 year old rapper sharing the mic with Jaz. This song is called "The Orginators" and was released in 1990 (back in the day when rap was at its peak).



Watch Jay-Z use the fast rhyming triplet style to full effect. It was popularized in the 1990's and groups like Das Fx started using that "riggidity diggity" style. Big ups to Humanity Critic for the video. If you notice now, Jay-Z has actually slowed down his rapping style. Listen to songs like Twenty 22's from Reasonable Doubt and you can see that he can pull off that faster style.

I've also been watching the Jay-Z Video Vault series from MTV.com. It breaks down each era when a Jay-Z album was released such as the Reasonable doubt era - 1996 , In My Lifetime Era - 1997, Blueprint era - 2001, etc..... For some stupid reason it won't let you watch the actual music videos but you can see all the interviews, which is still pretty cool.

Switching it up, check out this Nas Remix video of "Made You Look". its a live concert video featuring Ludacris and Jadakiss. Luda & Jada rip their verses, while Nas sounds like he's screaming.



For more Nas classic video's check out Street Dreams, If I Ruled the World, Nas is Like (best track ever!).

If your feeling Mr Lupe Fiasco who's playing at the Metro on Tuesday, watch the MTV "My Block: Chicago Video". Pretty sick.

Made you look,

DJ Ho.

No comments: