Sunday, January 07, 2007

Freestyler: Rap City

From watching the Aries Spears videos on You tube I have come across another hidden hip hop gem. In America, on BET known as Black Entertainment Television, there is a show called Rap City. It's quite popular in the States but I actually had never heard of this show before.

There is a mad segment in the show called "Freestyle Booth". Its a segment where a rapper will come into the basement studio and freestyle over a popular beat. I've seen videos of Snoop, Nas, Ludacris, Mr Cheeks, Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, Kanye West, DMX, Lil Wayne, and more. It's just awesome. You actually get to see how some guys just suck at freestyling while others just do pre-written material and the real rappers just spit fire. It's actually not that difficult to pick when someone is rhyming off the top of their head versus stuff they have already prepared.

Some guys stuff up and sound absolutely horrible e.g. LLoyd Banks and Nas. While others like Snoop and Common just rip it up. Check it.

Snoop



This is the best one I've seen. Snoop's got the swagger, the continuous flow, matching the rhymes and beat, lyrics are good and its funny as well. It's the longest freestyle I've come across on rap city. Crippin!


Common



Common's voice is just magnetizing. I just really dig Common's voice plus his lyrics are always deep (i.e. no gangstas, hoes, or drug references). The way that Big Tig and Common interact, feeding off each other energy is awesome.

LL Cool J



LL just goes nuts on this beat. I recognised this is as pre-written material from the G.O.A.T album. I've never seen LL perform like this, so much fire. Never knew he had it in him these days.


Bone Thugs



Nate will be happy with this one! The first guy sucks, but Bizzy Bone is possessed. He goes crazy and shows his got mad lyrical skills. I think he must be high.

Lloyd Banks



This is wack. Pathetic. Worst freestyle I've ever heard. G-unit crew suck. It shows the difference between wannabe rappers to living legends like Snoop and Common.

Mr Escobar aka Nas



I thought this was good until I realised it was pre-written material plus he stuffs up at the end. I was expecting, the king of lyrics to tear it up. I mean he's the King of New York. C'mon Nas, you can do better than that. You shook!

There's heaps of other ones available. Just jump onto youtube and search for "rap city" and you'll find stacks of videos. Wait, I've even done for you. Click here.


I'm out like Rap City,

DJ Ho.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easily the best post you've done for a long time. Good work!

DJ Ho said...

the motivation behind this post was that I just wanted to share these rap videos with everyone. glad you like :P.