Thursday, July 13, 2006

For the Love of the Game

Admist all the worldcup fever, one thing remained constant: my love for the game of basketball. You can take the ball from the baller but you can never take the ball from a baller's heart.

Evidence #1:
I recieved a pay rise a few weeks ago. So I went and bought this all white lebron james jersey:


Evidence #2

I couldn't really resist this Carmelo jersey either. It does look exactly the same, but hey it says "Anthony"!

Evidence #3

Since I was on a roll, I figured I might as well get this one since it was on sale too. At this point you kinda give up resisting, and just buy it.

It's actually a little tight, but the worst part is I don't even like the Spurs though I like Manu (expecting to cop a lotta flack from Tim on this one)

Evidence #4:

You know when your shopping and you think, hey I need another basketball? Do you ever get that urge?


Evidence #5:

And then you think, hey I need a "backup basketball" because the other one I bought is too expensive to use outdoor.

Resistance is useless!

So I'm walking around the shopping centre, holding 3 basketball jerseys and 2 basketballs. I'm a self confessed basketball junkie. I'm very easy to please when it comes to Birthdays/Christmas.

Please explain

I can't explain why I love basketball so much. Part of is the athleticism of the NBA players. The characters and larger than life personalities. The excitement of a slam dunk, a crossover or an awesome pass. The thing is its such an easy game to follow. No complexities like American Football or baseball. It's an adrenalin rush every time you watch and play the game. And its so easy to play.

For me, the peak of basketball was during the early to mid 90's. When were in high school and trading basketball cards. Looking up the prices in Beckett, going to Artbox on wednesday after school sport to buy a packet of cards. The trades during recess and lunchtime. Playing basketball as school sport for almost 6 straight years (winter and summer!).

Although I still love the game, its kinda lost its lacklustre after the really big name players fizzled out. I grew up in an era that featured Jordan, Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon, Sir Charles Barkley, David "Admiral" Robinson, Karl "Mailman" Malone, Reggie Miller at the peak of their careers.

In the Mid-90's came the guys that were the superstars of early 2000. Guys that have either peaked or became fading superstars. Players like Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal. Those the guys were fresh outta the box like new sneakers and represented the new school. These guys redefined the game from Iverson's speed, Shaq's raw power moves to Garnett's decision to jump from high school to the NBA. Then you had C-Webb, Penny, Grant, and Garnett - guys with skills that were just outta this world. The ability to do it all: rebound, pass, shoot, dribble and play multiple positions. The shiznit.

Now? The biggest stars in the game are Lebron, Carmelo, D-Wade, Kobe, Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki. Admittedly Kobe and Dirk were from the late 90's draft class. My point is something happened with the NBA. I just can't connect with these new cats because I didn't grow up with them. It's like music - you love music from the era that you grew up with, but this new stuff just doesn't sound the same.

I'm out like all your payrise on basketball jerseys,

DJ Ho

2 comments:

nayfon said...

represent! 90's NBA is supreme...I think the game's changed a lot as well...players then played for the passion of the game...now they just play for money...(just think of Dream Team '92)...compare that to now where the US struggle to find the top players to represent their country! I realise they've sort of addressed that now but I don't think the same kind of passion exists...

oh and gear without game is nothing ;)

DJ Ho said...

90's ball is definently supreme!