Thursday, December 01, 2005

Violence ain't necessary

Is it just me or society too violent these days? Or maybe violence always existed but we just oblivious/desensitized to the killings, deaths, beatings, lootings that are going on. I've never come across more violent lyrics than songs written by Notorious BIG, but they are a sign of the times.

Ready To Die

"I'm ready to die and nobody can save me"

In several hours, Van Nguyen will be weighed & measured to determine the right length of rope to make his neck snap when he is hanged. In less than 24 hours he will be dead. Why does Singapore insist on hanging people convicted of drug offences? They are the only first world country to do so. As if killing people really deters drug offences. Is this violence necessary?


Gimme the Loot

"Then I'm dipping up the block and I'm robbing bitches too/
up the herring bones and bamboos/
I wouldn't give f*ck if you're pregnant/
Give me the baby rings and a #1 MOM pendant/"

Last week, a Vietnamnese man who owned a newsagent was stabbed to death by two other Viets that robbed his store. I was reading this and was amazed at the guy's contribution to his own community. Another brother lost to the streets. Is this violence necessary?

Machine Gun Funk

"The rocket launcher/
Biggie stomped ya/
High as a motherfuckin helicopter/
That's why I pack a nina, fuck a misdeameanor/
Beatin m*therf*ckers like Ike beat Tina/[What's Love, Got to Do]/
when I'm rippin all through your whole crew"


A few months ago, a 20 year old Asian man was playing arcade games at Parramatta. He had beaten all challengers, but two Asian teenagers weren't down with that and they stabbed him in the back and he died shortly after. A friend of mine knew him and I was with him when he recieved the phone call that he had passed away. I actually had read this on Emily's blog and that death really shocked me. Another innocent life lost to the streets. Is this violence necessary?

It Was Written

I don't want to make this post too long, but this is an interesting article about how French rappers were telling the story of how things were about to erupt.

"Three weeks of riots, arson and attacks on police ripped the cover off problems that French hip-hop artists like Disiz have been rapping and raging about for years"

"What are we waiting for to set everything aflame? What are we waiting for to no longer follow the rules of the game?" NTM rapped. "We have nothing to lose because we had nothing to start with. I wouldn't sleep soundly if I were you. The bourgeoisie can quake, the scum are in town."

Click here for more. Was this violence necessary?

Peace.

DJ Ho.

No comments: