Sunday, April 17, 2005

"the world is a great book... they who never stir from home read only a page." - st. augustine.

It seems that most of my weekends go by like a blur. Friday nite rolls around and the obligatory work drinks function is planned at yet another seedy pub. Saturday morning, wake up, drag myself out of bed and think "I've got to make the most my first day off". Eat breakfast, watch some tv/dvd and then feel exhausted simply eating breakfast (!). Crash again, wake up in the afternoon and bang! Half the day is gone.

I need to get motivated to do something on the weekend. Get out of the house physically, go to Westfields and so some shopping, go for a walk, pick up a basketball. I can't waste my life spending all my free time in my two by four cell - my bedroom and making the two metre walk to my tv and re-watching all my old dvd's.

If the world really is a book, I've only read the first chapter. And at best, I've probably skimmed those pages.


Boiling point

Is there a time where you've put in a lot of effort, gotten no results and thought what's the point?

When you've been so frustrated despite putting in your all. That's how I feel sometimes. But you've got to be persistent and just determined. Perhaps attack it from another angle, or just simply thinking positive with the motto "it turn around eventually".

I don't think life is meant to be handed to you a silver platter. For some people it is and they can enjoy that luxury. But for the rest of us, we've got to fight for what's ours. We simply can't give up.

I never really came from a rich family, and whilst I wouldn't really call myself poor, there are times when we've had to go through financial struggles. Sometimes my mum worked 8 day weeks, that is 7 days with double shifts to take care of our family when my dad's business wasn't doing so well. Or my dad would regularly come home at 11pm after closing up his business and taking care of all the admin.

My parents did it tough when they came to Australia, with little english and hardly any money to begin with. They persisted, survived, thrived, then struggled, re-invented themselves, and then achieved financial stability.

From that kind of backdrop, that's why I've grown up with a kind of mentality that I've had to take care of $$$, I had to study hard and had to land a decent job so I could take care of my family. The mentality that I couldn't ever give up. The idea that I had to survive no matter what the circumstances were.

And while I might not have the highest paying job in the world, or the greatest academic marks, I can take pride in the fact that I have done my best and have struggled to get where I am today. Determination and persistence were more of a factor than talent or brains.

That's why this frustration currently bothers me but won't wear me down.I've got to think positive and luckly I've got good examples to draw strength from.

No comments: