Thursday, April 28, 2005

Crack game

"Seven: this rule is so underrated
Keep your family and business completely seperated"

- Biggie on the 10 Crack Commandments

Orginally I wrote a pretty long post about the Bali 9 - the nine people that had been arrested and charged with importing 8 kilo's of dope into Indonesia. In fact, I wrote the post whilst on the train ride home - I tried to get into the mind of one of the victims who had been arrested and to also give my own views about how they had been hard done by.

But I've decided to retract that post because more and more info has come out about how dodgy these guys were - one of the others being called the head honcho and how some of the members of the group had actually travelled to Bali several times on false passports. I felt sorry for them but now its turned into anger. Like I've been mislead. I never felt that they were innocent but you had to have a heart for them when the story orginally hit the papers - young, naive, stupid, didn't know what they were getting into. Not much has changed - they are still young, naive and stupid - but now the real story - the facts have started to unravel. I just can't believe that they decided to risk their lives being drug mules for a lousy $10,000 and the fact that they've done it multiple times.

But if they have done it repeatedly, and knew of the risks, and weren't threatened (which I highly doubt now), how can you feel for them? I feel sorry for them in that if found guilty, the majority of them will face the death penalty - the harshest punishment known to man. But still, if you know the penalty, and take the risk, especially when it's all over the news, well its hard to feel to much for you then.

Let's move on, because there is another woman in the system who i feel is hard done by.

She's a household name now but for all the wrong reasons. Schapelle Corby, who is likely to face the death penalty for ALLEGEDLY importing drugs. I actually believe her story. From what I've read (prolly half true/half untrue), she seems to be innocent and is not been given a fair go by the justice system in Indonesia. It's highly possible that someone put the dope in her bag, and there is a smuggling ring going on in the airport system. For her, it must be some kind of ongoing nightmare, and I just find it hard to believe that she will be executed for something she didn't do. And the fact that the Bali 9 were deliberating importing her-ron won't help her case either.

For every 9 idiots that tried to commit a crime and deserves some kind of punishment, there is one innocent person out there that deserves justice. It's a pity that the system won't differentiate that.

Free Schappelle Corby.

No comments: