Saturday, March 18, 2006

You've been barred


Martin Place Bar not on a Saturday: notice the number of non-Asians
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a huge assignment due in 4 days and i have not written a single word. This is going to be interesting. I was supposed to start writing this weekend, but i've managed to waste the majority of my day looking up basketball news, reading other people's blogs, talking to my ex, and so on. It's 5.30pm, and I should be starting to do something but instead I'm updating my blog.

Raising the bar

On a friday night, i can typically be found at one of these high class establishments and here's a rundown on each one:

Bar 333
For some reason I always end up here at some stage during the night. Downstairs is for white folks, upstairs is for everyone else. They try to turn upstairs into some kind of classy nightclub by having "shirt's with collars only", with a dancefloor the size of my toilet.


The funniest line i've used at trip 3? On the dancefloor I told this girl that my friend was dancing with:

"Did you know that he's got several AVO orders against him?"

Needless to say, she ran faster than Ben Johnson on steriods. Regulator / cockblock 1.Oh and the bar tenders downstairs are hot. For some reason on a saturday night, this place is jumping and the clientlie is so hot right now.

Ryan's Bar, Australia Square

Interesting. During the day its full of officeworkers eating lunch in the open table areas. By nightfall, its totally changed. the officeworkers come back, some in nice dresses, live band starts belting out songs, and the atmosphere is awesome and the hotdogs are unhygenic. Bartenders hot!

Brooklyn Hotel
Ah the brookie, my spiritual home! Inside it turns into a hip hop nightclub full of asians and indians (high levels of crunk and cries of lil jon 'What's" can be found inside). Outside is just packed with workers from Grosvenor Place building. Big ups to the security guard who thinks he knows me.

Equilibrium
One of those newer uber establishments. Located at world square, its compulsory for all of Ernst&Young employees to be found there. Place is jumping on a friday night. The place looks weird at the back, like I've stepped outta Dr Who's timemachine with that mirror on the wall/fire place setup. The vodka lounge is upstairs and the stubborn security guard refused me entry twice due to having drink in my hand and then the "private function, sir" excuse but was willing to let up a bunch of other randoms upstairs. NAZI'S!

Martin Place Bar
Too loud, too many people. Full of suits on Friday. Full of asians on Saturday. And I'm down with the bouncer here as well - a friend from my UTS basketball playing days.

Establishment


The sleaziest place in Sydney, according to some of Sydney's rags. The place is expensive, and the bar tenders think they've got flair ie. i asked for a bottle of water and the dude chucked it over his shoulder and dropped it. Spectacular.

Opera Bar
I like this place. It's a massive open area in front of and underneath the opera house. I think most of sydney's hottest women can be found here. Must be the water. Drinks are expensive, music is just right, and outside is better than the gloomy interiors.

Belgian Bier Cafe & Bavarian Bier Cafe
I've grouped them together, cause essentially they are the same thing. Good food but you'll take a hit to the liver. And they serve imported german/european beers (or is that biers). Have the leffe blonde and I don't mean that blonde on your left. I like the wooden interiors, gives it a nice euro style look.

Jackson's On George: One word - dodgy.


I'm out like our domination of the Commonwealth Games,

DJ Ho.

4 comments:

Student154 said...

Jackson's is legit man!

what about privileged? haha

DJ Ho said...

Bos and Ivan: I haven't been to either of the place when the asians come out, so can't give a proper comment, though i suspect its quite similar to MP Bar.

All these Asians that I bump into keep telling me to go to Privilege, why? I even heard that there was a mini tech reunion there last friday?

Natasha said...

*stares* were there always pictures involved in this post??

Privilege = $3 drinks on Friday nights. That includes spirits.

DJ Ho said...

Tash - *looks* you must be seeing things :P I posted the pictures up a few days after the post. It helps me explain the places I'm talking about.

Tim - I went on a cultural tour last friday. Went to Asia (Privilege), then to Italy (dinner at amo roma - pizza join), then to Latin america (Salsa @ hotel chambers). And if u don't know, privlege is a dump and happy hour stops after 9pm (Tash - you shoulda told me b4 i shouted everyone to drinks!!!!!!!!!!)