Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Dream vs The Dreamer

I have a dream
That one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:
'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.'
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia
The sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners
Will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression,
Will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin
But by the content of their character.
I have a dream today.

- Martin Luther King's infamous " I have a dream" speech. Delivered on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington in 1963.

This speech is considered one of the greatest speeches delivered in the 20st century. I don't know why, but when I heard the song "It was all a dream" by Jay-Z which bites the first verse of Notorious B.I.G "Juicy", I just thought of the "I have a dream speech". I think its the first line, check it...........



It was all a dream/
I used to read Word Up magazine/
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine/
Hangin' pictures on my wall/
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl/
I let my tape rock 'til my tape popped...............
You never thought that hip hop would take it this far/
Now I'm in the limelight 'cause I rhyme tight/
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade....... "

I'm too tired to write anything else inspiring since I just left work at 8.30pm, ate dinner in the city and caught a cab home. Here's some random points:

1. This weekend will be less hectic than last weekend, as on Friday I went to Privilege to see what the fuss was about, Dinner at Amo Roma with some work people, salsa @ Hotel Chambers and then the Kanye West concert on Sunday.

2. Congrats to Aruni who's engaged! And to Simon who's having a buck's party on Saturday night.

3. . I was supposed to lead class discussion about franking credits and I was getting grilled like a George Foreman product by the lecturer. All I can say is this - I survived! Oh and I got 24/30 as well for my assignment.

Top dunks of the regular 2005 NBA season

The guy that should have won the dunk comp but was robbed

1) Vince Carter over Alonzo Mourning. That dunk.
2) Dwight Howard alley-oop - one arm fully outstretched behind his head before he crammed that sucker home.
3) AI to Andre Iguodala alley oop on the fastbreak - AI pretends to do a layup and throws it back for AI Squared who grabs it one handed and slams it.
4) Deron Williams penetration, hop, step, DUNK over some poor fool.

Dwight Howard aka Shaq Lite

5) Al Harrington to Josh Smith reverse alley oop, the way that was way too far behind him but only he could pull it in.
6) Lebron James tomahawk every night
7) 'Melo drives from half court, penetrates, and dunks over everyone
8) Jason Richardson - drive baseline, float underneath the basket, and then kaboom, one handed flush.
9) Dwyane Wade - too many to count. He's posterized everyone.
10) There's a couple of Paul Pierce hammer dunks and Jerry "Dont Call Me Geriatric" Stackhouse rising high crams which would also make the list.

Special mention for this dunk below to Nate Robinson (who knew that a guy 5 Foot 5 could dunk like this? He's like 160cms tall?!!!!!!!!!)

2 comments:

nayfon said...

yeah I gotta agree that Carter dunk is unbelievable!

chrome said...

that speech always leaves me touched. so infused with history and stuff we still dealing with today. biggie's take is the everyday joe done good outlook. it was all a dream indeed.

nice pics dude