Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A day in the life of an analyst

I did this exercise before, and I found it quite interesting. Here's a breakdown of my day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.10am: wakeup, shower, breakfast, change clothes and go.

8am: missed three trains i was supposed to catch, finally get this one

9.15am: delayed by the train line, I finally arrive at the client site. I'm on secondment you see.

9.15am - 12pm: assist client with tax operations, analyse financial figures, reconcile numbers.

12-12.30pm - travel back to the office, catchup with colleagues since I've been out of the office for a while.

12.30 - 2pm: Attend training presentation on LICS:"Listed Investment Companies". I learn that it is a unique industry with 25 on the ASX with mulitple cross ownership, with no major industry representation. With the new tax rules being introduced, it will basically kill of LICs in Australia. More importantly, I stock up on as much free food as I can - 10 mini sandwiches, 1/2 litre of orange juice and as much fruit mentos as I can put in my pockets.

2-2.30pm: learn that we are moving seats and start packing up my things into boxes. Then walk back to client site. See a partner in a totally differnet department walking in, say hi - other analyst notices that i am connected like the mob.

2.30 - 4.30pm: Continue the morning's work. It's actually not very efficient as I'm stopping and starting.

5-6.30pm: Arrive back at the office for team meeting. Hear about our financials, group results, get introduced to the new starters. More importantly - drink two glasses of Chardonnay and make sure that I pour the bottle for my partner's glass. Perform some group activity - we do charades and I am tarzan, beating my chest whilst rescuing Jane and killing a monkey while swinging across the room. Consider taking alcohol down to my desk, but realise that this looks cheap.

6.30 - 6.45pm: Check emails and finish packing up my desk.

6.45 - 7pm: Walk to my friend's desk and catch up with her. We debate whether or not to go to another analyst's b'day drinks. I decide to head down but am stopped multiple times by other people. Someone holds the door open for me and I recognise him as the head of one of our major departments and I thank him using his unusual first name. The other analyst notes this and laughs at how I act as if I am on a first name basis.

7-8pm: Drinks at the BBC except I don't drink. Too much wine makes a DJ go sleepy. Girl in our group is acting very drunk and embarrassing us. Decide that it is a good time to make my exit.

8-8.30pm: Train it home. Read the Ralph recommendations on dividend streaming for my assignment. Arrive home and get call from another analyst about Masters email and help him out.

8.30-9.30pm: Change clothes and shower. Eat dinner. Talk to family.

9.30-10.30pm: Study dividend streaming and return of capital rules. Read class rulings and journal articles.

10.40: Updating blog.

11pm: More study, pack bag for social basketball game tomorrow night with another work department (great opportunity for networking!). Sleep early coz got Masters the next day.


And there you have it folks, a day in the life of an analyst in a big company trying his best to make it in this world. Glamorous? Maybe not. Busy? Yes. Hectic? A little.

I feel like a corporate high flyer in my suit, walking in and out of client offices, my home base, straight into meetings, eating as much free food and drink as I can, dressed in my black suit.

Peace Out,

DJ Ho.

No comments: