Thursday, July 28, 2005

muMs the word

Poet from OZ is used to be one of my favourite characters. Why? In the past, he used to do spoken word poetry, hence the name Poet. When I first heard him perform on the show, it was such powerful moving stuff, captivating me with his storytelling voice.


I was looking for that poem by searching for the script from Oz. Now, I found out that he actually is a POET! He's spoken word artist/actor going by the name of muMs (Manipulator Under Manipulation shhhhhhh). I knew he wasn't just acting - it was like his craft when he was rapping. Here's the poem but it's not the same though. No tone inflections, deep booming voice, pitch control or hand actions. Enjoy:

I coulda sworn I seen the m*therfucker in my cell, going through my personal effects
He fingers, fingering my cigarettes
Came out like nothing was happening whistling his tune
So I mushed his ass, like, "Move, m*therfucker, make room!"
"Hey, ain't that my cigarette hanging off the tip of your lip?"
I didn't even give him a chance for any confession

Just leveled his ass with all that aggression
Left, right, to the dolex
Foots to the chest

Uppercuts to the grill
I'm like "Kill!
"He's like "Chill!
"Take that for even being in this place
Take that for that fucking CO for tarring across my face
Feel that for that lawyer who don't give two f*cks about me
And feel this, feel this for me being enslaved by poverty, motherfucker
Gimme them damn cigarettes
Oh, these are Marlboros I don't smoke these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I like Poet too, but I think MuMs' best word was in the role of Lysol in the Chapelle's Show skit "The MAD Real World", a take off of the MTV reality show "The Real World". If you haven't seen it, check it. Some excellent work from Charlie "Eddie's Brother" Murphy as Tyree, the ex-con thug who acts like hes still in prison, and Dave Chapelle himself as Tron, the week smokin, Henessy sippin, sleeper holdin, crazy mofo.
A classic skit.