Thursday, June 02, 2005

Only Built for Cuban Linx (Chicks)

At the moment I'm trying to introduce a fellow female work colleague to the world of hip hop. Last night, I started her off with a copy of Only Built For Cuban Linx (Niggaz) by Raekwon as it was one of the only albums I had at my desk.

I swear I saw her nodding her head to the track Guillotine Swords coz with lines like these anyone would:

"I testify, the rest is I, Rebel INS Ya highness
blessed to electrify with voltage of an eel
truth that I reveal
I'll crush the amateurs who screamed to keep it real
Caesar black down hoodied up and fatigues
Part time minor leagues receive third degrees
Attack like a wolf pack
once I pull back then guard you, and bust through like a fullback"

(Inspektah Deck spitting on Guillotine Swords)

Someone else gave her a copy of the new Blackeyed Peas, and I was like pft, that ain't real hip hop. However, in hindsight maybe I should have gave her something a bit less hardcore than Cuban Linx on her first experience to hop hop. I hope that I haven't scarred her for life!!.

Or maybe (albeit less likely) she'll think the album is awesome and become some hardcore Wu-Banger, repping the Wu Family at the workplace. I can just see her:

- when she gets pissed off and yelling at the partners: "Bring the mutha... ruckus!"

- when I ask what style do you want this letter "P.L.O style, budda monks with the owl"

- or when i question her thought process behind the theory of the case: " I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypothesis can't define how I be droppin these mockeries"

Maybe we all need a lil Wu-Tang in the workplace.

5 comments:

Student154 said...

YEI YEI...
i rock roots at work, in return, i get to hear Guns and Roses... which is all good, cos i'm down for some of that too..

Anonymous said...

Just get her to put Ice Cream on repeat until she likes it. If she can't like Ice Cream, she's not gonna apppreciate anything else on the album. Thats the closest thing to a chick song on there.

I reckon you should start her off on some A Tribe Called Quest. They got skills and good tracks and their lyrics are non offensive and non threatening. Once she get into that you can move her gradually towards the more gangsta sheet.

DJ Ho said...

I'm not sure if you could call Ice Cream an appropriate song for a chick to listen to.

Also, I think Rae its a bit too hardcore for Bos, if you consider what his favourie music is (eg. Roots, Kanye West, Neptunes).

If anyone hasn't already read it, XXL does a mad breakdown of Only Built for Cuban Linx in this month's issue. That's what drove me to listen to the album in the first place.

Student154 said...

man, i don't care, i just love beats...
good beats, live beats, thumping bass rocks... sometimes, the lyrics is just an after thought for me, when i listen to rap

chrome said...

"watch these rap niggas get all up in her (??) guts"

yeah Cuban Linx was the original article. good looking out mr. dj