Thursday, September 14, 2006

To Live and Die A Rap Immortal


I hear the doctor standing over me/
Screamin I can make it/
Got a body full of bullet holes layin here naked/
Still I, can't breathe, somethings evil in my IV/
Cause everytime I breathe, I think they killin me /
I'm having nightmares, homicidal fantansies/
I wake up stranglin, danglin my bed sheets/
I call the nurse cause it hurts, to reminisce
How did it come to this? I wish they didn't miss/
Somebody help me, tell me where to go from here/
Cause even Thugs cry, but do the Lord care?

Only God Can Judge Me - 2pac

I didn't realise it at the time when Nate sent around this article about 2pac yesterday, but it was 10 years since the very day that 2pac passed away.
He was a great rapper - in my top 5 of all time. Admittedly all his songs aren't that great, but he's definently got some really good songs in there. I first heard 2pac on his All Eyez on Me album, he just seemed like some glorified thug. To some of us he still is. It wasn't really until I got his older album "Me Against The World" and the album released 13 days after his death "Makaveli" that I really started to appreciate his work.
He had the deep lyrical songs like "Life Goes On", "Only God Can Judge Me", "Brenda's got a baby", and "Dear Mama" which made you sit up and think. Switching it up he had the songs with the party vibe like "California Love", "How Do You Want It" and "Toss It Up". And who could forget the straight up angry Pac with "Hit'em up"?

To live and die in LA, where everyday we try to fatten our pockets/
Us niggaz hustle for the cash so it's hard to knock it/
Everybody got they own thang, currency chasin/
Worldwide through the hard times, warrior faces/
Shed tears as we bury niggaz close to heart/
What was a friend now a ghost in the dark, cold hearted bout it

- To Live and Die in LA by Tupac Shakur


No comments: