Monday, September 18, 2006

Racism still alive they just be concealing it

Racism still alive they just be concealing it/
But I know they don't want me in the damn club/
They even made me show I.D to get inside of Sam's club/
It really pisses me off when I get refused entry into a bar or a nightclub. It hasn't happened to me that often (I struggle to recall the last time), but last Friday was really something. A work friend was having her farewell drinks at The Loft @ King Street Wharf.

I arrived at 7pm, rocked up to the door and said "Hi, How's it going?". The door bitch didn't sound so excited so see me there. There were two bouncers also at the door. The one carrying the "Black book" asked me if we were on the guest list. I was thinking "What? Oh, we are with A from work". I knew that our friend wouldn't have any guest list being a last minute decision. And I knew by the way that he looked at me, he wasn't going to let me in.
"You are not on the guest list and we are full tonight. Perhaps you should try next door at Bungalow 8?"

That really annoyed me, the fact that he probably didn't even check the guest list which we both knew we were not on and his excuse that it was full. Me and my two companions trudge to the sidewalk, and call up our friends inside. Their response "It's not even full!? That's BS!!"


This picture is taken from a website which orginally took it from the Loft website. How's this for publicity?

As soon as we hang up on our phones and turn around, the bouncers let in a flood of (let's be politically correct) here, a bunch of white females. Then an Australian couple rock up and they have no problem getting in. And to really top if off, one of our friends rocks up by herself. She happens to be another Australian white female. Just out of earshot, they gave her the preliminary question "are you on the guest list"? She says "No, but my friends are upstairs" and points inside. The bouncers motion at her, and again, the magic door opens for her.

I think out of all the people they let in, the last person who we knew, that really made me mad. Here we are, going to the same bar to meet the same people. She was allowed in essentially with no questions asked.
My only crime? Being an Asian male.

Crime by association? I was with another Asian male and Asian female.

Victim of fashion perhaps ? The fact that I was dressed casually but they let in a whole bunch of other people in casual clothing.


More pictures of the dungeon known as the Loft

I could have walked up to the bouncers and the door bitch and given them an earful. But I was too mad, too worked up, too embarrassed, too ashamed, too pissed off.

I could have called up some of our friends to help us get in but I guess I wasn't in the mood to go into a place where the staff are giving me attitude.

The fact is the three of us were there to farewell a good friend of ours and simply looking for a good time. And that just ruined it.



We tried our luck at Bungalow 8, and again we were refused entry. Apparently we were dressed too casual, the bouncer pointing at me and my other friend. But the funny thing was, there were other people inside that we dressed casually. I have never had a problem going there but usually I've been in work clothes.

I had enough of this attitude from the bouncers at King St Wharf and went to O'Donoghues and an Irish pub nearby. One of the few places in that part of the city that don't question what you wear or what nationality you happen to be, as long as you produce evidence that your over 18. then it was off to a high class joint like Scruffy Murphy and Pavillion, where all they want to check is if you are carrying weapons.

Charlie Murphy! Scruffy Murphy! An uber high class bar in the Chinatown precint

Hey, I'm Asian, we all must be carrying machetes, knives and guns. That's why they don't let me into places like The Loft.

I'm out like racist bouncers at the Loft,

DJ Ho.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thing i cancelled my bday drinks planned at bungalow 8!

Iv said...

Finally, DJ Ho takes the gloves off...

Anonymous said...

Yep, gotta hate that attitude of the King St Wharf bouncers. Last time I managed to get in though, because we came straight from work (work attire) and we also had some non Asians with us.

Go the cheap bars!

DJ Ho said...

Anon - I'll make sure next time I dont arrive with a group of asians and leave my knives at home.

Ivan - well yeah, had to let off some steam coz that whole incident really pissed me off. Picture it, you work with someone for 1.5 years and want one last drink with them and you get refused entry while everyone else gets in. I'm still dirty over the whole thing.

Kris - It's funny how we have to assimilate otherwise we can't get in. Screw those bouncers.