Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hobbies I tell you

It's a saturday night, and i'm at home! arrghhhh! Not really in the mood to go to sky gardens nightclub for a party. Given that I've deferred studying for 6 months (well really indefinently) I've got free time on my hands. Every night I come home and I'm just heaps tired and just sit in front of the tv. Friday & Saturday nights, I'm usually clubbing and drinking. I'm thinking I should get back into some of my old hobbies and maybe learn something new.

I've been checking out my old martial arts school for starters. I really want to get back into that and learn how to snap a man in half again lol. Just itching to do those combinations again and get some of that bone on bone action to toughen me up - what i mean is that we didn't really punch bags a lot but rather practiced on each other. Walking through Bankstown station on Friday night and through the Viet areas wasn't a very comfortable experience. The fact that I took a quick shortcut through two semi lit alleys to get to a restaurant was actually quite a dumb idea even though i always take that shortcut in the day time. DJ, you got to be street smart about these things.

Also, after going to a couple of salsa clubs with Rob and PJ, I realised that I'd like to actually know the steps. So I'm looking to take a salsa class on a week night like Salsa Vibes. I know a lot of people doing it and looks like fun. And as Terry put it accurately, girls actually want to dance with you unlike at RNB clubs! haha.

On the creative front, I've also been looking at some classes at Sydney Community College. There's some interesting photography classes, journalism, and film clubs going on. I'd love to do the photography one except after the basic class you need a manual camera, and those things are quite expensive. In fact, I suspect photography is quite an expensive hobby. The film club looks alright, except I dont want to watch a lot of boring films! Though I'd love to expand my film knowledge (hey it might be a great conversation starter?).

On the weird front, I came across a criminal psychology course. At one stage in my first year at uni, I was really into my criminal law class and spoke to my lecturer about changing to do law and criminolgy degree. Then I spoke to my current law firm employer who advised me against any sort of career with criminals. Bring that stuff home with you she said. Well I wanted to be Criminal Minded. Maybe its my chance now.

PJ's also mentioned to me about taking a capoeria class - that brazilian sommersault cartwheel to the sound of beating drums dance. Except that it is a lot more complicated that it looks. Plus I know I'm going to look stupid doing that and has no practical use. Imagine getting robbed at Bankstown in some dark alley and breaking out into one of those brazillian cartwheels. Well maybe I shouldn't be walking down dark alleys in the first place!

On the hip hop front, The Alchaholiks tour is coming to sydney. Rocking at Gaelic Theatre August 31st. Probably going so hip hop heads holla back. Also copped The Game "Documentary" and Missy Elliot's "CookBook" LP. Yes I bought them - feel like giving back to artists instead of downloading. Currently in heavy rotation: Ne-yo's "So Sick"

And I'm so sick of love songs/
So tired of tears/
So done with wishing you were still here/
Said I'm so sick of love songs so sad and slow/
So why can't I turn off the radio?

I'm out,

DJ Ho.

1 comment:

chrome said...

Ne Yo's "so sick" is that joint. digging his tune with ghost and kanye. downloaded ;) but might cop the joint.

salsa. yeah you get to dance with the women. but only if you can dance and the women will front if you cant. Unfortunately RNB ain't what it used to be. go to the club and the women come in groups. cant break into one without her friend bothering your flow. gotta get back into the karate. learn new way to slap a trifiln' bitch (dont condone violence)