Saturday, June 24, 2006

Catching the bus?

I don't catch the bus that much these days, mostly getting the train into the city for work. The thing with public transport is that it is simply what it suggests - its public! You have to share that space with other members of the public.

So when I heard my brothers talking about the "Bus Uncle" and the mania it has spawned off in Hong Kong, I had to check it out. As it happens, a very public altercation occured on a public bus and was filmed by another passenger with a high tech mobile phone. It was put onto a Hong Kong version of Youtube and then quickly found itself on the real Youtube. Check it out here.

It involves a young man tapping an older man in front of him (who is on a mobile) to keep his voice down. The older guy explodes and uses the phrase "You have pressure, I have pressure" and "It is not settled" during the arguement. This has now become the catchcry of HK TV shows and there are been remixes made with HK pop stars like Edison and Sammi Cheung!

In fact, Park N Save, a big supermarket outlet like Woolies have incorporated it into their ads. Even crazier, is that there is a new Street Fighter 2 ad by Capcom that uses the phrase "You have pressure, i have pressure" (see below). And to top if off, it even has a Wikipedia entry with a full breakdown on the characters, incident including social-physological analysis!!!


To be honest I didn't read too much into the incident, just more suprised at the anger of the old man and the popularity of this clip (then again Honkies do have some weird trends). I really felt for the young man, cause that could have easily been me. Normally I mind my own business when I'm on public transport and I hate using my phone when I'm in public. I just feel that its so impersonal and can't talk properly. Maybe it's a deep rooted fear in disturbing other people.

Youtube, Blogs, Wikipedia

I more amazed at the popularity of Youtube in spreading this clip. I'm been fan of Youtube ever since someone sent me a video about 4 months ago. And don't get me started on Wikipedia! People call it the Web 2.0 era. Whatever you call it, there's been a internet revolution. It's all about customised entertainment, sharing and collaborating information online.

If I don't know something, I'll look up Wikipedia. If I want to listen to a song, I can download it off i-Tunes (if i feel like paying). In the mood for the latest epidsode of PrisonBreak? Download it as a torrent. Feel like watching something funny or a highlight reel? Use YouTube. If I want to read about something quirky, entertaining, or wish to tell the world something? I'll write something on my blog or read someone's blog.

Welcome to the new era.

I'm out like Croatia from the World Cup,

DJ Ho.

No comments: