Saturday, March 17, 2007

This is how we roll

In the summer of 2003/2004, which some might call the summer of Jackson gate/boobgate, there were two young interns sitting next to each other in a workspace booth crammed with files, office workers rushing around them, and the constant buzz of telephone calls. These office rookies quickly became friends cause they were both freshmen, knew absolutely nothing about working, and loved to talk loudly about boob gate.

During that summer, they both worked their proverbial behinds off, ate lunch together, and knocked back countless drinks. They would even SMS each other to find out what the other was wearing to the casual friday to ensure that either of them did not turn up in an outfit unsuitable for work. At the end of that summer they parted ways, promising to keep in contact. One went back to Canberra to work for the next 3 years, and the other stayed with the company in Sydney.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast forward to 2007.

My friend Gurav got a 3 month transfer to work in Sydney so I met up with him last night. We decided to meet up for a couple of drinks. He's actually originally from here but he hadn't been out in Sydney for a while. Well he hadn't been out with DJ Ho as his tour guide. So this is how DJ Ho rolls.

Here is a snapshot of the places I took him to :

1. Verandah Bar @ Martin Place: All business types inside. Nice bar but too crowded.

2. MacDonalds - pitt stop for food.

3. Ryan's Bar @ Australia square: Packed. This chick asked me to buy a drink for her friend. I was like what the ####. She accused me of knocking it over when I hadnt even walked past her. Apparently, I needed to be calmed down cause I was not cool about it. I told her to try it on the next guy in the line. In fact I wouldn't even buy her a drink under normal circumstances. I guess us Asians must all look alike :P

4. Opera Bar @ Circular Quay: $5.50 for beers on tap? I guess the view aint too bad.


5. Industrie @ Pitt St: Chilled out music but this place is too small and narrow.

6. Bar 333: This place was dead so we didn't stay there

7. Privilege @ George St: This place was going off. Played some old school classic rnb/hip hop. I got there as the place turned into a nightclub (yes!) but as the $3 drinks stopped (nooo!).

7. Bungalow 8 @ King St Wharf: Under normal circumstances I would not go to King St. This is exactly why: The small aussie bouncer introduced us to his big black "friend". The "friend" proceeds to interrogate us with "where have you been tonite? How many drinks have you had? What are you doing here?". This is the kind of attitude I don't need. Eventually we got in and paid the ridiculous prices for drinks.


8. MacDonalds for second pit stop to refuel on food

9. Cohi Bar @ Darling Harbour: This place was dead but since we had walked 20 mins to get there we stayed for a drink. Upstairs was just empty.

10. Tank nightclub @ Circular Quay: Refused entry as we didn't have stamps and the line was not moving at 1.30am in the morning. I used to walk into this place with no issues and now there is a line?

11. Pavillion Hotel: Again, this place was dead and we didn't want to get stabbed, so we quickly left.

12. Equilibrium: They were closing up so it was completely empty. Disappointing.

13. Scruffy Murphys: We got refused into this place? Are you kidding me. This is the dirtiest place on earth!

14. Paddy Maquires: Closed.

15. Harry's Hotdogs: You can always count on a Harry De Wheels Hotdog with chilli, peas, and smothered in mustard and tomato sauce to hit the spot at 2.30 in the morning.

16. 7-Eleven for a slurpie.


I'm out like introducing patrons to the big black friend,

DJ Ho.

3 comments:

Inside Man said...

A 7-Eleven slurpie is a perfect night cap!

DJ Ho said...

dude, your back! just checked out your blog. what's with all the chinese?

now, if only obi would come back....

Inside Man said...

Thats spam. I haven't figured out how to prevent it from getting on my blog.